Saturday, February 7, 2009

Cool Covers

I was a huge fan of this series when I was 12 years old. I had read comics for awhile, but had started to become more selective with my reading choices. I come from the Kyle Rayner camp, mostly because his introduction was poised to bring in new, younger readers like myself, but also because his path to becoming a Green Lantern was paved by the homicidal rage of Hal Jordan. Confined within the context of when it was orignally published, Emerald Twilight is one of the single greatest mainstream "superhero with human follies" stories I have ever read.This issue features one of the first confrontations between the old Green Lantern, Hal Jordan (greatest of the Corps) and the new Green Lantern, Kyle Rayner (the last Green Lantern). I really liked that DC would blow up everything readers knew about GL history and take it in a different direction. You can imagine my resentment a few years ago when they decided to retcon Jordan's descent into madness as an infectious parasite.

No comments: