Friday, August 21, 2009

Let's All Go to the Lobby!

The bastard child of cinema is at it again: Quentin Tarantino's new film "Inglourious Basterds" hits theatres today and is already one of the highlights of the year.

Though the film is a revisionist take on the outcome of WW2, it's still a fun action flick that features some of the best filmmaking I've seen in a while. There are two scenes in particular that have stuck with me and really showcase Tarantino's ability as a writer and composition on screen.

Some of the film, however, devolves into gory slapstick and contains allusions to many great cinematic pieces, but I think I can let that slide. Brad Pitt hams it up everytime he's on screen, though I wasn't completely impressed with his performance. There isn't much character development for the Basterds, just know that they are Jews in France looking to kill Nazis.

The film is truly carried by Christopher Waltz. He is a Nazi who revels in his ability to find and kill Jews but his character is so charming and engaging that you almost miss when he is not on screen. Waltz played the character fluidly, moving effortlessly from personable officer to ruthless murderer and back again without breaking a sweat.

Personally, I don't think this is Tarantino's best work, but it was a lot of fun. The film is great escapism and expertly crafted. I think it's safe to say that right now it's certainly in my Top 10 for the year.


"Inglourious Basterds" is in theatres today.

No comments: