Thursday, March 26, 2009

Let's All Go to the Lobby!

It has been a very long time since I have written any sort of movie review. I've recently been to a couple of screenings in the past week or so, and I'd like to share my thoughts with you.

Last Thursday, Kara and I (along with Dave and Tracie) took in a screening of "I Love You, Man." Since this film is already out, I'll refrain from reviewing it. I thought it was funny and it was nice to laugh during a movie for the right reasons. Go see it, you can thank me later.
Painfully, I've recently taken in a double dose of Emily Blunt and her "acting" skill. First up, I saw "Sunshine Cleaning." This was painfully drool. Also starring Amy Adams (barf), the story centers on two sisters who clean up crime scenes. Obviously, the film is banking on the "cute-as-a-button" marketing quality of the two stars and the "Little Miss Sunshine" charm of Alan Arkin. This movie totally misses the mark. It's overwrought and annoying. Skip it.
The second helping of Blunt came in "The Great Buck Howard." While John Malkovich gives a great, crazy performance as the title character, the rest of the film falls flat. Haven't I seen Colin Hanks in this role before? The disenfranchised youth of privilege uncertain about his future or how his parents will react to his aspirations? Colin, I wish your career died when you did on "Roswell." The film flounders and even Malkovich's stick gets old after a while. Skip it.
Do yourself a favor and wash away the bad taste of these reviews by going here.

No comments: