Friday, January 9, 2009

Let's All Go to the Lobby!

2009 is quickly steamrolling its way along, smoothly replacing all that was 2008. I've been thinking about a top ten 'movies of the year' list, but I found it difficult to remember all the movies I saw (thankfully I have this blog). At first, I felt 2007 had so many great films it was easy to fill up a list of 10 or more top choices. Initially I felt 2008, however, has been something of a let down. I found it quite easy to create a top ten list of the films I saw in 2007, even with some spill over. After going through old posts, I soon realized there were a lot of great films in '08.

One aspect of crafting this list is keeping it limited to films I saw in the theatre. The turn around from theatre to DVD is so short now, but home viewing doesn't retain the same luster going to the movies possesses. By my estimate, I went to the theatre over 30 times to see a movie. In addition to the films that came out this year which I watched at home, that's close to 50 flicks.

Wow. That actually makes it a tough list this year.

My "Top Films" goes a little something like this...
1. Be Kind, Rewind
2. The Day The Earth Stood Still
3. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
4. The Happening
5. The Incredible Hulk
6. The Spirit

And those are my top six worst movies of the year.

Top Ten Best films....
1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. The Wrestler
3. Iron Man
4. The Dark Knight
5. Happy Go Lucky
6. Speed Racer
7. Wall*E
8. 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days
9. The Wackness
10. Billy the Kid

Other notable films: Milk, Synecdoche, New York, Persepolis, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Funny Games, Standard Operating Procedure, Wanted, The Reader, Changeling

This list is compiled exclusively of films I saw at the theatre during the 2008 calendar year.

No comments: