Monday, May 19, 2008

Rocky Mountain High

In Colorado | In Love
Way back in the middle of May, KW and I took a road trip to Colorado. We began driving out on a Thursday afternoon and rolled into Denver sometime after 12 am CST. We chatted with our host, Kara's friend Mike Hester, for a little while but then went to bed to rest up from the long day on the road.
FRIDAY
We had a light breakfast and then embarked on foot to do a little shopping and discovering Denver's culture. We hit a couple vintage stores, a rummage sale and an excellent hand made clothing boutique that proved to be the most expensive stop on the trip. We had a lunch at a bistro much akin to Mocabe's here in town. We also visited several dingy music stores, much like you would find down on Cherokee. Not that that's a bad thing. For dinner, we headed over to a giant outdoor mall and ate at a BBQ shack before going to see Speed Racer. That's right, we saw a movie while on vacation. I know, I can't get away from them! The movie was actually pretty good, great kids movie. It's a shame it made so little at the box office.

SATURDAY
I think this was the morning we walked down to a breakfast place which was not all that great. I love breakfast and this place broke my heart. I think it was called hot cakes. For shame. We then went down to the Denver Art Museum.
There wasn't any particular piece that was overwhelming, but it was fun to explore a new and different museum.
A museum which featured a lovely Brian-style hubcap.
Afterwards, we drove to Boulder and headed into the mountains and spent a little time walking around and just taking in the view.
The most beautiful thing I've ever seen in my life.
A mountain.
We headed back into town and spent the night relaxing. We had dinner at a place called Chedd's, which serves gourmet grilled cheese. I'd say this is a place you'd find down on the Loop. I was pretty pooped from the drive out, the change in altitude, and an attack on my sinuses.
The view of downtown Denver from where we stayed.
SUNDAY
We slept in on Sunday, but when we got up, we walked to Coors Field to watch the Colorado Rockies take on the Minnesota Twins in some sweet interleague baseball action. The Rockies went onto win the game, K-Dub and I ate some stale ballpark food, and we slowly made our way back to our Denver digs.
Dinger
We decided to start heading home on Sunday since it's such a long drive and we lose an hour as well. We stopped off in Junction City, KS, and got a room for the night. It was straight to bed and up early the next day to get back on the road.
How I spent most of the trip.

No comments: