Friday, September 12, 2008

Let's All Go to the Lobby!

Wow, it's been over a month since I posted a blog about going to the movies. It's hard to believe that I've been spending so much time watching short films in preparation for the festival that I haven't been to the movies as much. Or maybe I just haven't thought about blogging about the movies I've been to - but I'm pretty sure the last one was either "American Teen" or "Pineapple Express." Maybe that's why I haven't gone in a while... I did see "The Women" but I should really never mention that to anybody.

On Monday I went to a screening of "Burn After Reading," the new film by the Coen Brothers. It's hard to imagine following up "No Country for Old Men" with any film, but BAR does an adequate job. It really is a film similar in vein to the other dark comedies (or just comedies) the Coen's have done in the past. The film is rather suspenseful as well, much to my surprise. The movie isn't as lighthearted or goofy as the trailer makes it out to be - and the plot is pretty loose. There are a few twists and surprises, and I was relatively shocked at one sequence. It's not a great film like No Country, but I enjoyed BAR for the fun, irreverent stance it took on the CIA, physical beauty, and expectations of being a good Samaritan in today's society.

On Wednesday, I went to a screening of "Towelhead," which was really good, really disturbing, and a very jolting experience. There were a number of times I squirmed in my seat due to the tense, awkward situations that were created on screen. A film of this nature, pubescent teen dealing with blossoming sexuality while struggling to fit in and find one's identity, could easily be likened to several others of that sort of genre, but the main character strives for acceptance of who she is not what others want her to be. She wants the people around her to understand that she is okay with what she is becoming even though she travels down a dark, twisted path to become who she is. This is definitely not a date movie, but a film that falls into a small group of discussion films, insightful films, or painful memories films.

No comments: