Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Let's All Go to the Lobby!

Well, two days, two movies. This is a pace that I cannot keep up, but it sure is fun. Today I took in a screening of "4 luni, 3 saptamani si 2 zile," or "4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days." This Romanian film won the Palme d'or at the Cannes Film Festival last year, but was snubbed of an Oscar nomination for Best Foreign Language Film. The film deals in some pretty serious subject matter (abortion), and uses a lot of standard European filmmaking techniques (static shots, long takes, etc). It was a really good film, definitely very powerful, but not for everybody. I'm not sure how I feel personally about abortion, but I believe in the freedom of choice as it applies to society as a whole. This film will make you think twice before you fly to Romania to have a black market extraction.

I have come into possession of the Academy Award nominated short films, both live action and animated. Hopefully I'll be able to watch those in the next few days. SLIFF had the foresight to play a number of them in the festival. Just shows you the taste my predecessor had and the big shoes I now have to fill.

On Sunday, Bill, Adam, and I worked a few hours on some KDHX promos. Mostly funny but hopefully technically sound, they should be ready in a few weeks. I played the son of Tom Selleck, Bill the son of Steve Guttenberg, and Adam a raging Reginald Vel Johnson fan. The concept behind the promos is "Real People, Real Stories, KDHX." I'll post a link to my youtube page once they are up and ready to be viewed. Hopefully they will air on KDHX as well.

No comments: