Saturday, June 21, 2008

Let's All Go to the Lobby!

The success of marquee comic movies like "Spider-Man," "Batman Begins," and "X-Men" has paved the way for other, less notable adaptations.  "Sin City" and "Iron Man" are two of the most noteworthy, as each has ignited interest in characters other than the flagship heroes.  Box office success also allows production companies to look at smaller press titles in hopes of cashing in while riding on the coattails of Marvel and DC movies.  The latest such endeavor is "Wanted," an adaptation of a limited-series by Mark Millar and J.G. Jones from Top Cow.  "Wanted" is an action packed, visually stimulating thrill-ride.  Aided by the skilled Russian eye of Timur Bekmambetov, "Wanted" takes the audience inside a secret guild of assassins who kill one so 1000s can live.  There are many sequences of imagery and action that resonate with a palpable comic book flair.  This is a definite must see and quite a lot of fun.

Wizard World Chicago is less than a week away and I couldn't be more excited.  It'll be fun to gather with friends, comics, and the Windy City for a few days of reading, relaxation, and spending!  My focus this year will primarily be on trade paperbacks, but I hope to find a few choice Silver Age comics well.  I'm geeking out for some four-color fun.

My friend, Jeff, recently posted a music review and I have been inspired name drop some discs I too have given a whirl .  K-Dub and I splurged on half.com and picked up a few fine CDs.  We picked up M. Ward's "Post War," Calamine's self titled EP, Taken By Trees "Open Field," and Sea Wolf's "Leaves in the River."  I've had the chance to listen to both M. Ward and Taken by Trees and have been pleased with the purchases.  I hope to spin the other two this weekend.  I also recently picked up the original soundtrack to the film, "The Fountain."  Sweeping arrangements and emotional strings highlight the disc.  The film has slowly been positioning itself as my favorite movie, which is something of a development since I have never had a fave, just a select few I like alot.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Speaking of music, how's Miracleman coming along...