Monday, June 23, 2008

This Charming Man

The news has already spread about the passing of George Carlin. His influence on the comedy world is far reaching, but his impact on my life, both in terms of pop culture and media literacy, is quite resounding. His appearances in the Bill & Ted films, "Shining Time Station," and "Dogma" notwithstanding, I will always remember the short time we spent together: me in my bedroom, he on "The George Carlin Show." While it may have been an odd show for a twelve-year-old to watch, I found great joy in the program, as short lived as it was. The writing was different, more sophisticated than other programs which were on around the same time. Obviously, most people will be heaping praise on "Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television," and with good reason, but I will always remember those two short years that I was able to share with one of the true masters of comedy.

No comments: