Thursday, March 13, 2008

Laggard

I hate that I haven't posted in a while. I hate it because there are a few things that I want to post about, but I've been so busy with those things that I don't have time to post. I'm preparing a larger post for tomorrow, hopefully, but here's a quick recap of things that have been going on, things I've been watching, and other junk happening.

Kara and I did a re-fi on our house. We got a lower rate (6%!) and lower monthly payments all while taking out some extra money to make some much needed home improvements. The first order of business will be installing central air. That's pretty exciting considering the sweat box the house becomes in the summer. The winter isn't too bad, because the house holds heat fairly well. Our house was built in 1910, so central air will be a nice centennial gift for our abode.

I've watched quite a few movies in the past week or so. I've been taking advantage of a program offered by Family Video. If you pay an upfront charge of $10, your rentals are half price for 30 days. If you rent frequently, as I have been doing, it's definitely worth it. A great way to catch up on new releases and slightly older than new releases as well. My next post will reviews or quips about the movies I've seen most recently.

Over the next few days, I'll slowly be working on putting everything in order for the big comic book show on Sunday. I should have a long box of comics, a box of movie posters, and a couple boxes of action figures. On a somewhat related note, I recently looked at pictures of costumes for the "Watchmen" movie. Some were neat and spot on, others were flat out disappointing (Ozymandias). I mean Joel Schumacher disappointing. The outfit for Silk Spectre is pretty funny, but at the same time hot. I won't lie on how I feel about that. The actress playing the second Silk Spectre, Malin Akerman, is quite attractive, so that helps. I'll still go see the film, regardless of how goofy some of the costumes look.

I'm just hoping that the comic book film genre isn't thoroughly played out by that point. 2008 will be a big year for comic book movies (Hulk, Iron Man, The Dark Knight). If all of those films deliver the market for superhero movies will stay strong. With the direction those films are taking, there's no reason for me to think the market won't be there. It could go the way of slasher flicks: over saturation causes stagnation and people stop caring. Of course, horror and slasher movies will continue to be produced and their popularity is cyclical and the same will happen to superhero movies at some point. As I was gathering links for the big three comic book films, I discovered that Robert Downey, Jr. will be playing Tony Stark in the "Incredible Hulk." That's huge news not because of character crossover, which is also significant, but because it's the same actor portraying the character. That makes me even more excited for both movies. Get here now, summer!

No comments: