Monday, March 10, 2008

Let's All Go to the Lobby!

After an action packed, filmmaking weekend, Kara and I went to the beautiful Winnie Moore for the Webster Film Series' screening of "Billy the Kid." This film is an intimate look at a fifteen year old kid growing up in Maine. Billy first appears as an outsider in his small town, the weird kid who is into heavy metal and karate. As the film goes along, you learn that Billy is just like any other teenage kid: dealing with gawky, awkward body changes, proud of the things you like, steadfast, headstrong, and stubborn in your beliefs, and prone to the ache of crushes and first loves. The film centers on how Billy deals with his school life, home life, and a rough upbringing. It really reminded me alot of Potosi, not of my own upbringing, but of the sentiment and mindset that most people there have. People everywhere should at least follow Billy's creed: "I'm not black, I'm not white, not foreign, just different in the mind. Different brains, that's all."

Like I mentioned in the opening, Meatloaf Productions wrapped shooting on the short film "Tonight, She takes her revenge and takes back her baby!" This, of course, is a working title. After two long weekends, its nice to have the film shot and ready for editing. Dave and I have several tricks up our sleeves for the editing process, lots of post-production effects work will be done. Hopefully it turns out well, and if it does it should be really interesting. We still have a few smaller pieces to shoot (intros, inserts, b-roll and news footage material) so the editing process will take a nice, long time.

Meatloaf Production's application for Coming Up Shorts is "under review." More than likely our app will be accepted, as over the past two years 45 projects are selected on average. Usually 10-15 are turned in on time in the end. I don't want to give anything away, but it will be magical. Check below for our entry last year. We didn't place, but we did lose out to a tit. Yes, a tit. An actual tittie.

Next Sunday I will be setting up at the St. Louis Comic Book Show. This will be my first time, so while I am anxious and nervous, I will be aided by Jeff Elden, a veteran of this comic book show. Stop by, say hi, hang out, and shop around. It will be a lot of fun.

One final note. I am a bit of a geek, some of you may know this. This geekdom, however, extends to the realm of fantasy sports. Yes, I am a gent who gushes over stats, but only in hockey, though I also participate in baseball leagues. I just wanted to share with you some of the names I have used for teams this season, because I think they are funny: James K. Polk, Wretched Bastiches, Captain Marvelous, The Skid Marks, The Old Dutch Rub, Sloppy Seconds, & the Granny Panties. One of the leagues, Murphy Hockey League III, features an actual trophy that the grand champion takes home. I missed the playoffs this year by one point, but have the top seed in the consolation round.

No comments: